Snag a Copy of Aaron's Free eBook!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reflux

I am sorry for being such a bad blogger lately - the twins have kept me SUPER busy! Our 3 bathrooms are disgusting and haven't been cleaned in weeks, so if I have any spare time, should I be blogging? I don't know, but my hubby is kind enough to be washing bottles for me at this moment so I'm going to blog...

Abel and Belle had their 2 month check up and shots today at the pediatrician. Thankfully, both are continuing to gain weight. Abel now weighs 8 lbs 2 oz and Belle weighs 7 lbs 2 oz. They both have severe reflux issues which is causing such a disruption in our household. Between feedings, Aaron and I can't even sleep because we have to listen out for spit ups - these are the violent kind that shoots out of their mouth and nose which makes them feel like they're drowning and they become scared. The pediatrician told us to mix some rice cereal with the formula to try and keep it down. Since they are both gaining weight, it is more of a nuisance for everyone than a medical problem. However, if the rice cereal doesn't work in a few days, he is going to prescribe a medicine that causes the formula to quickly pass from their stomach into the intestines before they have a chance to spit up.

I would love to update more and post pictures, but we are about to head off to our church's small group, but at least I had a minute to post a quick update. I will be checking your blogs soon!

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Sorry they are having problems with reflux~ hopefully the cereal will help it. Don't worry about the bathrooms! I can't wait to see new pictures!

Lisa said...

Glad they are doing well overall. I am sorry about the reflux. Lainie has had issues with that too. She is my first child to have this and it is pretty scary when they shoot the whole bottle back at you. We had to put her on medication(not sure if it is the same). It has really helped in her case. Her personality completely changed after a few days. She is much less fussy. Hopefully if you need to medicate it will have the same positive results.

Britney said...

So sorry to hear that about the reflux! Brae had that too and we tried medicine first, and eventually just switched to soy, which really worked.

Krisa said...

I'm sorry your babies are having reflux problems. I'm praying that this next step will be helpful!
May the sleep that you get be really, really good!!!!

Christina said...

I have a hard time keeping up with the housework with just one!

Sorry they are having reflux problems - we had that with Genna too. We gave her Prevacid for several months, but didn't really see much improvement until she was able to sit up and move around on her own. Poor girl was in so much pain! We had about 8 months of inconsolable crying, along with the large amounts of spit-up. She was gaining weight fine - she was just miserable.

Hopefully you'll get something figured out soon!

Glad you found a minute to update!

Room for More said...

So sorry about reflux. My kiddos were asking about you and your little ones just yesterday. And yes, the housework does take a back seat doesn't it?? ((HUGS))

Brian said...

There is a formula you can get with rice already added that you can try...it's very thick and it's not the easiest thing to mix, so be aware of that if you try it. Brian got it accidentally once (I had to give Elijah the gentle formula because he had severe gas problems). Enfamil A.R. is one example, though I sure there are others if you are using a different brand.
Praying for you!
<3 Marci

kdactyl said...

We had the same issues with our son...and we did the rice cereal additive and it made all the difference. I highly recommend it. We used the playtex drop in bottles and they have a Flex nipple that is tri cut to allow for the thicker milk with cereal...but you will find you need to help it out just a bit with a little extr pin prick or baby will have to work too hard to get the formula out. Just experiment with it...we lost a few nipples this way by "over" cutting them so be careful. And...do NOT try this with Dr. Browns bottles...doesn't work AT ALL...too many parts!

I hope you get some relief and some sleep soon.

bamslp said...

I'm glad to see you all are doing so well. Hang in there---we are praying for you. I am a speech pathologist, and this book was recommended at one of the feeding conferences I went to....hope it may be of some help:

The Reflux Book: A Parent's Guide to Gastroesophageal Reflux


http://www.amazon.com/Reflux-Book-Parents-Guide-Gastroesophageal/dp/0615182690/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313862966&sr=8-1

God bless!!

Micah, Tiffany, Andrew, Elijah, Isaac, Eliana, and Isabella said...

I hope they are doing better~ my Elijah had reflux and he slept in his car seat for months. Thankfully, adding cereal helped him, though. Praying this resolves quickly.

Jen said...

I can't believe they're 2 months old already!!!