Snag a Copy of Aaron's Free eBook!

Monday, September 22, 2008

Broken Vases and Sanctification

As you can see from the picture above, there are two vases on our entertainment center. Prior to Saturday, there were 3 vases grouped nicely together (grouping objects in "threes" is a decorating technique - Thanks for that tip, Mom!). However, my sweet husband who is working long hours trying to get his new store ready to open next week, took his last day off for awhile (other than Sundays) to help me dust our apartment (he is so amazing - did I mention that?!) and yep...he broke one of the vases.

Prior to my conversion to Christ 10+ years ago, I would've been very angry at that. Even after my conversion, I would have still been angry. But, this time was different...my reaction was led by the Spirit and I wanted to react differently - I wanted to react in a God-fearing manner. I do not credit this change of heart to anything in myself (and I was still disappointed that the vase was broken) but I see it as God's kindness to me in choosing to remind me that He is sanctifying me and making me more like His Son and less like my sinful self.

The Christian life is filled with fighting off and/or giving into sin. When we give into the sin, we are often discouraged. Thus, it's kind of God to occasionally throw something in life to remind me "...that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6b HCSB) Thank you for breaking our vase, Aaron - It pointed out evidences of God's grace in my life that I might otherwise would have missed!

No comments: